What do you normally do first when you come back home after an exhausting day at work? Most of us kick off our shoes and socks and a feeling of relief comes. Something about being barefoot tends to take us back to a simpler, more relaxed time, like walking on a beach or playing in the grass barefoot as a child.
For centuries, there have been stories about the benefits of walking “connected to the Earth” or “Earthing,” as it is now called. The idea is that the closer you are to the Earth, the more of Earth’s energy you could pick up through your feet.
Earthing (also known as grounding) refers to contact with the Earth’s surface electrons by walking barefoot outside or sitting, working, or sleeping indoors connected to conductive systems, some of them patented, that transfer the energy from the ground into the body
Years of extensive research has shown that connecting to the Earth’s natural energy, by walking barefoot on grass, sand, dirt or rock can diminish chronic pain, fatigue and other ailments that plague so many people today. This connection is referred to as Earthing or Grounding.
WHAT HAPPENS TO THE BODY
When your bare feet or skin comes in contact with the earth, free electrons are taken up into the body. These electrons could be referred to as nature’s biggest antioxidants and help neutralise damaging excess free radicals that can lead to inflammation and disease in the body. The Earth is a conductor or free electrons and so are all living things on the planet, including us. The body is composed of mostly of water and minerals which in combination are excellent conductors of electrons from the Earth providing there is direct skin contact or some other conductive channel for them to flow through.
The Earth’s energy upgrades one’s physiology by allowing the body to cope and repair thereby promoting wellbeing, vitality and better sleep. It also harmonizes and stabilizes the body’s basic biological rhythms, knocks down (and even knocks out) chronic inflammation and reduces and eliminates associated pain, making it the most natural and powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-aging remedy around! No matter what your age, gender, race or health status you will benefit from a daily dose of Earthing!
BENEFITS OF EARTHING
- Defuse the cause of inflammation, and improve or eliminate the symptoms of many inflammation-related disorders
- Reduce or eliminate chronic pain
- Improve Sleep and promote a deeper sleep
- Increase energy and vitality
- Lower stress and promote calmness in the body by cooling down the nervous system and stress hormones
- Normalize the body’s biological rhythms
- Thin the blood and improve blood pressure and flow
- Relieve muscle tension and headaches
- Lessen hormonal and menstrual symptoms
- Dramatically speeds healing time and can help prevent bedsores
- Reduce or eliminate jet lag
- Protect the body against potentially health disturbing environmental electromagnetic fields (EMFs)
- Accelerate recovery from intense athletic activity
GOING BAREFOOT IS GOOD FOR OUR BODY
The most straightforward benefit to barefoot walking is that in theory, walking barefoot more closely restores our ‘natural’ walking pattern, also known as our gait.
But there are a number of other advantages:
- better control of your foot position when it strikes the ground
- improvements in balance, proprioception, and body awareness, which can help with pain relief
- better foot mechanics, which can lead to improved mechanics of the hips, knees, and core
- maintaining appropriate range of motion in your foot and ankle joints as well as adequate strength and stability within your muscles and ligaments
- relief from improperly fitting shoes, which may cause bunions, hammertoes, or other foot deformities
- stronger leg muscles, which support the lower back region
WHY WE NEED EARTH’S ENERGY
Our connection to nature, the planet and the universe are vital, however, with rapid advances in technology and our modern fast-paced lifestyles, many of us have become separated from our basic bond with mother Earth.
Throughout history humans walked, sat and slept on the ground, cultivated their land with bare hands and spent a lot of their time naturally grounded. However, today, we have become increasingly disconnected from nature by our modern lifestyle. Conductive leather-soled shoes of our ancestors have been replaced with insulated rubber and plastics. We sleep in beds and homes off the ground. Plastics, synthetic fabrics, asphalt, tar, carpets, vinyl have all been introduced and block this natural connection.
To add to this, we are also bathed in a sea of unnatural man-made electronic radiation from household appliances, mobile phones, wi-fi, microwaves and cell towers, which bombard us continuously with excess free radical damage to our tissues and cells. The Earth’s energy helps to knock these excess free radicals down so that your body can heal and repair naturally, as it is meant to. Therefore, to remain in good health, it is imperative that we re-connect with this natural energy daily to counteract the damaging effects of our modern lifestyle.
WHAT EARTHING IS NOT!
Earthing has nothing to do with Supplements, Pills, Long Clinic Visits or Expensive Treatments and is not a magic cure or this week’s celebrity fad! Earthing is safe and natural, for people of all ages, young and old, but it is not medicine or a substitute for medical treatment.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Once a little boy was at a store with his mother, trying on shoes. He had gone barefoot all summer and now with school looming, the time had come for him to get “real shoes”. Every pair the mother tried were deemed “too small” by the boy, even when she knew they were much too large. When she asked him what felt tight, the boy responded “I can’t wiggle my toes!” He was expecting the same flexibility in the shoe that he felt running through the grass.