5. How to Tie the Pratt Knot
Also known as the Shelby Knot, the Pratt Knot offers a stylish look for any dress shirt. Because this knot is thinner than the Windsor knot, it works well when fashioned with lightweight to medium-weight ties. The Pratt Knot requires just a few simple steps to master.
- To begin tying the Pratt knot, raise the shirt collar and drape the tie wrong side up with the wide end hanging on the right side roughly 12 inches lower than the narrow end.
- Cross the wide part of the tie under the narrow part.
- Bring the wide end up and loop it down through the opening at the neck and tighten.
- Cross the wide end to the right with the correct side up.
- Pull it up through the neck opening.
- Bring it down through the knot loop.
- Slide and adjust the knot gently and lower the shirt collar to complete the process.