3. How to Tie a Four-in-Hand Knot
If you wish to only learn one knot, make it the Four-in-Hand.
Four-in-Hand knot is asymmetrical, it has narrow shape which makes it more interesting. It is really simple to tie it and it goes well with most shirt collar types. The only exception is wide cut collar. In that case you should stick with wider knots that fill the collar.
This knot is also popular in situations where men struggle with necktie length and the tie is too short for them (tall men, long torso, big belly) because with Four-in-Hand only small part of the tie is used for the knot.
- Lay the wide end on your left and narrow end on your right.
- Cross left over right.
- Bring the wide end under and back to the left.
- Take the wide end back over once more.
- Pull the wide end up through neck loop.
- Bring it down through front loop.
- Tighten the knot and adjust the dimple.