Humor can keep us balanced, even in the grimmest of times. It reminds us that despite illness and disability, there are moments of real joy in life and we need to embrace them.
You can learn to laugh at any stage of life. Even if you are going through a difficult phase of life, laughter will contribute to your overall outlook and keep you young and healthy.
10 SIMPLE WAYS TO MAKE YOURSELF LAUGH
- Seek out funny people. Hang out with people who laugh often and laugh with them.
- Adopt a playful point of view.
- Do something silly just for the sake of doing it and for the sake of breaking your customary routines. Spontaneity can bring new rewards of fun.
- Try a laughter yoga class. Laughter yoga is fun and many laughter yoga classes are offered — usually at no charge. Laughter yoga stimulates laughter and combines this with pranayama, a form of yogic breathing. It will leave you happy and energized.
- Find your sense of humour so that you can laugh at life’s frustrations.
- Lighten up. Learn to laugh at your own mistakes. By not taking yourself too seriously you will learn to laugh at your everyday foibles.
- ‘Fake it till you make it’. Researchers say that your body can’t distinguish between real or fake laughing. You get the health benefits regardless of whether it is fake or real laughter.
- Treat yourself hilarious diversions — to funny movies, books, YouTube videos. You want not just ordinary comedy but truly hilarious diversions.
- Spend time with children. Children know how to laugh and how to play. If you hang out with children you can discover their secrets and have lots of laughter as you make these discoveries.
- Play with your pets. Laugh at their tricks and their habits. You’ll discover how much fun you can have sharing their routines.
If you can’t laugh, try smiling more. Sometimes life just feels too grim to laugh but a simple smile attracts others. Smiles are as contagious as laughter. They enhance relationships and you will feel good — even as the smile subsides.
Making a conscious effort to incorporate more humour and fun into daily life with your family will pay big dividends. Your outlook on life will change and the laughter you share — and will keep you young and healthy.
Laugh as much as possible! Life is better when you are laughing.