Tips For Better Eye Health
There are many things you can do in addition to eye exercise to keep your eyes healthy.
- Get a comprehensive dilated eye exam every few years. Get an exam even if you haven’t noticed problems. Many people don’t even realize they could see better with corrective lenses. And many serious eye diseases don’t have noticeable symptoms.
- Know your family history. Many eye diseases are genetic.
- Know your risk. If you’re at increased risk for eye problems because you have diabetes or a family history of eye disease, see your eye doctor every six months to a year.
- Wear sunglasses. Protect your eyes from damaging UV rays with polarized sunglasses that block out both UVA and UVB light.
- Eat healthy. A diet full of healthy fats and antioxidants may help keep eyes healthy. And, yes, eat those carrots! They are a great source of vitamin A, which is an important nutrient for eye health.
- If you need glasses or contact lenses, wear them. Wearing corrective lenses will not weaken your eyes.
- Quit smoking or never start. Smoking is bad for your whole body, including your eyes.